Saturday, March 19, 2005

Susan Sarandon Does It Again

So I watched the end of Shall We Dance this morning. I've seen the original, and the remake was so lackluster that it's taken me a good two weeks to slog though it. But there was one passage that wasn't in the Japanese version that really made me sit up and take notice.

I've been struggling for more than a year now with the importance of marriage and why I care so much about it. I think I've found the tip of the iceberg (of course, it was in a pretty blase movie buried in a story line that never truly developed, but that's why it's a hidden nugget) in something Susan Sarandon had to say:

"I'm not a romantic, I'm a realist. Why do people get married? We need a witness to our lives. There's a billion people on this planet... I mean, what does any one life really mean? But, in a marriage, you are promising to care about everything. The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all the time, every day. You're saying, 'Your life will not go unnoticed because I will notice it. Your life will not go unwitnessed because I will be your witness.'"

That makes sense. Maybe that's what I've been looking to put into words all this time. It's not the physical security or the financial security, but the emotional security - the promise that someone will care.

Can I have a witness?

No comments: