Friday, April 01, 2005

Inspiration in strange places

This has been a wacky week.

It started out pretty poorly, and has bounced all over the map from there, but one thing has been consistent. I've found inspiration for some of my creative projects in some of the strangest places this week.

First off, there was the poem that has been bouncing around in my head for the better part of a year now. I knew what I wanted to say, but not quite how to say it. So I'm surfing the website for a local club and one of their headings says "Meet me." The synapses started firing and somehow, in that convoluted grey matter of mine, that set off the domino effect that resulted in a poem being written in 20 minutes. Keep in mind, I completely changed it around when I cleaned it up, but just the fact that I've had the idea around for so long and no idea what to do with it, and now it's out there on paper, is one heck of an accomplishment.

Second, I was looking at a friend's blog entry and clicked through to this amazing art project called PostSecrets. The basic idea is that you write a secret on a postcard, decorate it, and send it to the author, who posts them on line each Sunday. I only read the first few, but those were powerful enough to set my brain in motion....

Then there was tonight. Reading my friend's email about the evils of the national media, another couple of phrases struck me. I'm not sure what I'll do with them yet, but they're in the toolbox, as it were.

And sometimes there's just no explaining where things come from. My latest odd image literally just spewed forth from my pen as I was writing. I was trying to finish off a poem that had given me fits in trying to capture. I reached the last stanza, and that just reeled off the pen...like I had been thinking about it and had it in the back of my mind, but I hadn't. Not one bit. "Love's lead token of golden promises broken" Not only does it have that ring to it, but it has the layers of hidden meaning that I can't capture if I try, but when I don't, it flows. Wish I had more moments like that!

No comments: