Saturday, October 06, 2007

When?

When is a broken heart more than a broken heart? No, it's not a riddle.. I don't have a smart aleck answer stuffed up my sleeve somewhere. It's a question that was posed to me earlier today, albeit not in as many words. It was the kernel of contemplation that I took away from a conversation filled with queries.

Usually, I at least have a theory on these things, but this one truly hit me out of the blue. A friend's actions disappointed me immensely. And while I've forgiven him the actions, it still hurts that he is willing to sacrifice our friendship over things that we should be able to weather without issue. I called him friend. I trusted him. A trust and a kindness that has been repaid with strained silence when I needed him most, when I just need people around whom I can be myself.

Tonight I was called out on the strength of my reaction. Was there more to us than met the eye? Which led to a deeper conversation that boiled down to this: Friends can break your heart... sometimes harder than a lover. So when is a broken heart more than a broken heart?

2 comments:

kenju said...

Hmmm...good question. I once was betrayed by a good female friend, and it hurt almost as much as breaking up with a fiancee. I think it is the trust that is broken, and betrayal can hurt terribly by either sex. There is also the possibility that you felt more deeply for him than just as a friend.

Tabor said...

I agree with Kenju. Friends are supposed to be trustworthy. When trust is broken you feel so naked and wonder how you got to that place. So sorry to hear your heart is broken. Know that time will mend it...scars that remain will make you more careful in the future.