Wednesday, May 04, 2005

I'm crying "fowl" on this one

Words can not even begin to describe how WRONG this is. Or how GLAD I am I don't live in South Carolina right now.

Right now, cockfighting and domestic violence are both misdemeanors in that state, punishable by 30 days in jail. A legislative committee passed a bill that would make cockfighting a felony, but tables a bil lthat would protect victims of domestic violence. So let me get this straight...5 years for letting two chickens attack each other, but 30 days for attacking your spouse?

Then, as you read the whole story, your jaw will drop even more to see this lawmaker's take on the issue. Here's just a snippet:

Rep. Altman responds to the comparison, "People who compare the two are not very smart and if you don't understand the difference, Ms. Gormley, between trying to ban the savage practice of watching chickens trying to kill each other and protecting people rights in CDV statutes, I'll never be able to explain it to you in a 100 years ma'am."

News 10 reporter Kara Gormley asked Altman, "That's fine if you feel you will never be able to explain it to me, but my question to you is: does that show that we are valuing a gamecock's life over a woman's life?"

Altman again, "You're really not very bright and I realize you are not accustomed to this, but I'm accustomed to reporters having a better sense of depth of things and you're asking this question to me would indicate you can't understand the answer. To ask the question is to demonstrate an enormous amount of ignorance. I'm not trying to be rude or hostile, I'm telling you."

Gormley, "It's rude when you tell someone they are not very bright."

Altman, "You're not very bright and you'll just have to live with that."




No comments: