Thursday, July 06, 2006

Checking in

I didn't realize quite how much time had elapsed between posts. And here I thought life would slow down...perhaps now that the holiday is over. I am still alive, still working, the new car is good. I'm slowly driving myself crazy with a few decisions that have to be made kinda soon, and coordinating another monstrously huge dance weekend. But other than that I'm still here. Just thought I'd take a second to check in before work this morning and try one of Schprock's 3 paragraph posts.

Last night, I went out with the gals to see Superman Returns. I didn't bone up on my previous backstory before I went, so some of it took a bit to come back to me, but I left there with mixed emotions. The movie was very well made and had a good story to it. They even had a plausible reason to have the damsel in distress be all dressed to the nines at her hour of need. Even so, two things struck me.

1: The movie was just too long. It almost felt as long as "The DaVinci Code" at times. I understand the use of fluidity of time as an effect, especially when dealing with the Man of Steel. However, I could have taken about 15 minutes off of it by cutting out some extraneous stuff all along the way without hacking a scene or taking away from it all. The motion just slowed down at some of the most inexplicable spots. Not to mention it could have ended a number of places in that last half hour. Then again, it's a summer blockbuster, so most people probably want an excuse to spend an extra 30 minutes in the A/C!

2: This movie, more than I remember, has a Messianic complex about it. I won't go into here because it's just too much spoiler potential for a movie this new, but if any of you see it, I'd love to hear what you think.

1 comment:

Yoda said...

I love those B grade old superman movies. Nothing better than a movie with horrible special effects to kill an idle Sunday afternoon :-)

I've been waiting for this one. Though I haven't the faintest idea when I'll actually watch it. Life is TERRIBLY hectic now.