Monday, July 07, 2008

The Final Rose

I hate to admit it, but I watched the final episode of The Bachelorette tonight. I won't spoil it for those of you who may be taping it (as I just learned my friend is - sorry!), but all I'll say about the outcome is that I would have taken the other one. But to each their own and that is why everyone is said to have a soulmate.

I'm writing more because my mind has been on love a lot lately. One thing that has always bothered me about these love reality shows is the question, is it really love? These shows have the resources to take couples on dream date after dream date. to set up scenarios that whisk them out of reality and into a fantasy world where everything is roses. So are they pledging lifelong fidelity (because even if it doesn't work, it's still a life-long pledge at the time) to someone with whom they're compatible in the real world, or merely in a cotton-candy construct of Hollywood's making?

To watch this woman say she's falling in love with two people at once, but one moreso than the other really reinforces that to me. No reflection on her - she's just a human being plopped down in the middle of an amazing situation. But to fall so hard for two people... to me, just says that she's in love with the emotional journey and the situation just as much as the people.

Not that I have any remarkable insight here, I'm just bothered by this whole thing. I see the contrived scenarios they put these couples in to spark chemistry, and it makes me think of my own love life. I've fallen for someone with whom I don't need grandiose scenery and expensive dates to achieve love and affection. Dancing in an auditorium with a personal concert? I can't imagine it feeling any better than swaying in the living room with the right person as the mix CD we made plays behind us. An individual fireworks show? I get my own sparks when I see him. Now, if only I could see him.

3 comments:

kenju said...

I agree with you about Deanna. I would definitely have chosen the other one! I can't figure out her choice, unless she's after the excitement of not knowing what comes next.

(I think the one she didn't pick should be the next bachelor, don't you?)

And about the one you fell for? If he doesn't see your worth immediately, then he's not worth it to you.

Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

I agree about the grandoise scenario somehow representing a costume draped over the naked romance of undecorated affections.

ProducerClaire said...

Kenju -
I think he would make a great bachelor, excapt it sounds like he's so hurt he might not choose any of them! Maybe next year or something.

As for the one I fell for, he actually sees (saw?) more worth in me than I did to begin with. It took too long for me to say what he needed to hear and he's pulled away to take care of other things in his life. So I just keep trying, letting him know that I want to be there and seeing what happens. This time last year (ok - a month later) was bliss. I want that again.