Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Scarlett and Rhett, Bogey and Bacall

The AFI announced their Top 100 Movie Quotes of All Time last night. Of course, it's not of *all* time because they stopped with Lord of the Rings in 2002. And there are no quotes from Office Space on the list, but that's neither here nor there.

Anyway, my prediction for the top spot, Rhett Butler's parting shot at Scarlett O'Hara that DEFINES a dramatic exit, was indeed the number one movie line of all time. Casablanca and Wizard of Oz also made a strong showing, with 6 and 5 entries, respectively. Here's the rest of the top 10 - the link to the full list is above.


  1. RHETT BUTLER (Clark Gable): "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn." GONE WITH THE WIND, MGM, 1939
  2. VITO CORLEONE (Marlon Brando): "I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse." THE GODFATHER, Paramount, 1972
  3. TERRY MALLOY (Marlon Brando): "You don't understand! I could've had class. I could've been a contender. I could've been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am." ON THE WATERFRONT, Columbia, 1954
  4. DOROTHY GALE (Judy Garland): "Toto, I've got a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore." THE WIZARD OF OZ, MGM, 1939
  5. RICK BLAINE (Humphrey Bogart): "Here's looking at you, kid." CASABLANCA, Warner Bros., 1942
  6. HARRY CALLAHAN (Clint Eastwood): "Go ahead, make my day." SUDDEN IMPACT, Warner Bros., 1983
  7. NORMA DESMOND (Gloria Swanson): "All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up." SUNSET BOULEVARD, Paramount, 1950
  8. HAN SOLO (Harrison Ford): "May the Force be with you." STAR WARS, Twentieth Century Fox, 1977
  9. MARGO CHANNING (Bette Davis): "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night." ALL ABOUT EVE, Twentieth Century Fox, 1950
  10. TRAVIS BICKLE (Robert DeNiro): "You talkin' to me?" TAXI DRIVER, Columbia, 1976
I was surprised Dirty Dancing made the list at all, with "Nobody puts Baby in a corner" coming in in the low 90s, and one of my personal favorites popped in at number 43 - "We'll always have Paris." from Casablanca. Some of my other favorites were even lower, or didn't make the list at all (I wasn't surprised). Suppose that's a reflection on the fact that I didn't really start watching movies till about 10 years ago.

Something tells me I'll end up renting Casablanca again sometime soon, but that's a tale for another blog entry.

No comments: