Friday, July 15, 2005

Rumor mill grinds to a halt

Well, that's that. Washington's favorite guessing game of the moment is coming to an end: The Chief is staying.

The game wasn't without its drama. A main character who chooses to remain silent only fueld the flames...and when he was hospitalized with a fever earlier this week, we all thought that was it - he would throw in the towel and head into retirement.

Wrong answer. Thanks for playing - we have some great parting gifts.

I'm torn on how I feel about this. If he leaves now, there's a greater chance for the composition of the Court to remain as it stands now rather than heading farther right (but I've already talked about that). On the other hand, I hate to see Bush get TWO spots on the court.

I wonder why he's holding out though. He was nominated by a Republican (Nixon) and elevated to Chief by another Republican (Reagan). He's served on that court longer than I've been alive, and already holds the record for longest serving Chief Justice, beating out a man who died in office in 1910. (If you want to know more, here's the Wikipedia article)

At least there is one silver lining to this cloud - I won't miss the hubbub surrounding his announcement. I'm a media junkie, and I was on vacation when Sandra Day O'Connor announced her retirement. I found out by text message. Same with Valerie Plame...text message on vacation.

Next question: how long will it take the muckrakers inside the Beltway to find new grist for their rumor mill?

No comments: