Sunday, July 31, 2005

Product of a sleepless night

I have a slight problem...I revere words, to the point that when I get a phrase stuck in my head, I can't get it out until it's just right. Those are the times I have to step back and remove it from my head so I can work on something else.

So I took a few minutes and jotted this down. It's not my best effort, but one of my fastest. I don't ususally share unfinished work, but everything else is out there right now, so here it is for your perusal.



I've seen too many summer sunrises.
Stayed awake and watched until the dawn
laid her blazing fingerprint across
the ever-receding horizon.

Spikes of Orange, casts of yellow,
emanating from the glowing orb
making its daily trek into the world,
while wisps of cloud cover refract
random hints of hesitant reds -
A performance before an awe-struck audience.

Shades tints and hues
all become more brilliant
when viewed from the wrong side
through a lens without the shade of slumber.
Vibrant and resonant
when seen through dozens of individual prisms
as gravity pulls them, one by one,
from troubled eyes.

Amazing how a force of Nature so commanding
can be so fleeting,
returning each morning,
with no visible mark to prove its existance,
yet leave an indelible impression on
mind, heart, emotion,
soul.

No comments: