Thursday, February 16, 2006

Got a light?

No, I haven't taken up smoking - I'm simply burning the candle at both ends these days, and am considering cutting it in half so I can burn it at all four ends to get more done! I don't blog about work, but suffice it to say that my new project at work has a voracious hunger, and it's diet consists of my time. Which is why I haven't been around.

Want to hear something sad? Since my computer crashed, I haven't even taken the time to reinstall iTunes. Okay, so I did, but I somehow ended up with two copies of every song I reloaded onto this thing, so I've uninstalled it and I'm waiting till I have a good hour or two to sit down and plow hrough and figure out what I did wrong.

It's interesting how dependent we become on our computers. I'd be in a world of hurt had I not written down all my financial passwords. I still haven't re-downloaded the money management program I purchased last month. I never would have become a writer were it not for computers...now I'm still trying to salvage my last few items I wrote.

Sigh.

Anyway, I didn't log on to bitch...I feel like that's about all I do of late...I just logged on to say hi and hope that maybe starting the day writing something could put a new spin on the rest of my day. So good morning and I hope all is well in your worlds.

8 comments:

Yoda said...

I fuck up my computers all the time. Not due to viruses etc. but due to excessive tinkering.

I have a handy way of restoring things. I bought a USB harddrive and stored the entire image of my current harddrive. When the comp gets all fucked up, I just copy the image back. Lo! I'm done!

Some companies might be selling software which makes images of your harddrive ... you might want to check it out on the Internet.

ProducerClaire said...

What do you use and is it simple? This putting everything back in iTunes and ending up with duplicates of most things is for the BIRDS!

Yoda said...

I have a IBM Thinkpad and it came with all this software. Its as simple as popping in CDs/DVDs to burn the image of your hard disk.

If you don't have it, you may give windows backup and restore tools a shot. You can find them under Accessories->System Tools

Tony Gasbarro said...

You should take up smoking. It calms you down, it makes you lose weight, it takes that annoying white glare off of your teeth, and you'll look so cool with one of those sexy things hanging from your lips, not to mention all of those around you too afraid to look so cool who will bask in the smoky air around you and breathe in that heady aroma of nicotine-spiked, tobacco by-product. Don't let their waving hands fool you; they're just trying to get as much of your smoke in their lungs for free!

Flash said...

Simple solution for the duplicate songs.

Just go to edit/show duplicate songs. Just delete one of each. really quick process.

as for being dependant on computers, look past that. Your car, phone, ATM's, banks...everything you do in a day most likely has some programmed chip in it.

Scary, huh?

mr. schprock said...

I had to wipe the hard drive clean on my home computer and install OS10. I lost some stuff, but the fresh start felt great!

ProducerClaire said...

Yoda,

I hesitate to use anything Windows provides at this point, because the Windows defragmenter was the last thing I used before it all went kaboom!

Farrago,

LOL! I actually DID smoke cloves on occasion in college, but now I don't see how I ever had the mouth or the stomach for them.

Flash,
That worked, I just was surprised how many duplicates I ended up with of things that I only had in my old system once. Gotta figure out a better way to manage these...

Mr. S,

If I can find a way to keep some of the old around, I'd love the fresh start.

ProducerClaire said...

Yoda,

I hesitate to use anything Windows provides at this point, because the Windows defragmenter was the last thing I used before it all went kaboom!

Farrago,

LOL! I actually DID smoke cloves on occasion in college, but now I don't see how I ever had the mouth or the stomach for them.

Flash,
That worked, I just was surprised how many duplicates I ended up with of things that I only had in my old system once. Gotta figure out a better way to manage these...

Mr. S,

If I can find a way to keep some of the old around, I'd love the fresh start.