Sunday, August 07, 2005

World of Dreams

Funny how dreams seem so real when you're asleep, then fade rapidly as you cross that space of near wakefulness where sleep and reality overlap like a beach where the tide rolls ashore onto the sand.

Even funnier how the snippets of dreams come back to you at the most inopportune, or least expected, moments.

I woke up this morning with that faint sense of something in my dreams that I should remember. But I couldn't. Not for the life of me. It wasn't until I laid back down on the bed after a shower that the lightbulb came on.

I dreamed my friends threw me a surprise party, but the party was my wedding. My parents were in the front row in polo shirts and pants, but a co-worker gave me away to a man who wasn't even there. And the ceremony was based on the fact that he wasn't there. No one even used his name...just said that when he returned, I would already be his wife.

As my co-worker walked me down the aisle, the one I truly wanted got up and walked out of the building. I bolted and ran after him. The organ stopped and one of my supervisors caught me at the end of the aisle, turned me around, and sent me back to the altar, but half-way there, I think I woke up. I don't remember getting there, at least not yet. I just remember wearing an ivory strapless sundress and carrying a wilted flower - a daffodil or a tulip or something.

Perhaps more details will come back to me as the proverbial tide rises again.

No comments: