Monday, April 24, 2006

Feeling small

I'm trying to email entries into my blog now, as I can't seem to access the page through blogger.  So if you never see this, it's just me whining anyway.  However, I have to vent to someone.
 
People have such easy ways to make you feel small and insignificant.  Aside from the constant criticism at work and the feeling that I can't do anything right in ANY of my social circles here lately, you know what became the icing on the cupcake?  I got my hair cut and virtually no one has noticed.  About five inches hacked off and three people noticed.  That's it.  A girl I work with who has been after me to cut it for years...a woman who works a shift opposite mine and never sees me...and a man I dance with.  That's it. 
 
I don't have to be in the spotlight at all times, but damn, talk about making a girl feel useless except when serving their purposes.

2 comments:

Scott said...

It's a funny thing about a woman's hair. Sometimes I notice that something is different but I can't put my finger on it, so I don't say anything. A girl at my local Starbucks had an obvious change of do and I told her that I love it, and she looked at me like I became her latest stalker. I complimented a woman on a beautiful dress she wore, and she did almost the same. Perhaps she was just embarassed but liked the compliment, but I'm not going to risk it again.

ProducerClaire said...

First off...YAY I CAN GET BACK IN!

Scott, I'm not sure where you live, but where I am, that's still perfectly acceptable. Especially when you know the woman :) Honestly, I'm less offended that the men didn't notice than I am the women who have made derogatory remarks about my long hair for years. Not that I did it for them, I'm just surprised that they have admitted the comments were rooted in jealousy - so I know they look... Confusing. ANd belittling.

Wordnerd, Thanks! That means a lot :)