Tuesday, April 25, 2006

One of These Days, Alice, One of These Days.....

Ladies and Gentlemen, I implore you.

Think about all the people you know. Your parents, your siblings, your spouse. Your best friend, your best man, your best employee. The mailman you greet with a smile at the office. The barista or barkeep who knows your usual when you walk in the door. You.

Chances are quite high that one of you needs a Karmic Kick in the Ass.

The target is anyone who doesn't admit, or doesn't even realize, they are living in an interconnected world where one person's actions impact everyone else. Let me lay out a few examples.

First off, there's a woman we'll simply call Starr (you'll see why in a moment). The day before my vacation, I needed a java jolt to get me through work, so I decided to stop at the Starbuck (get it now?) at the mall. Plenty of parking, no lines at that hour, and I'm good to go. I pull into the parking lot, only to find an H2 bearing down straight at me! after a few quick evasive maneuvers, I'm in the clear, but the driver is shaking her fist at me. Road rage barely existing in my little town, I let it slide and grab the fourth parking space from the door (the first three being handicapped spaces.)

I get out of the car to see Miss Starr climbing out of her H2. Evidently parking beyond the handicapped spaces was beneath her, as her monstrous mode of transportation is in front of the door, blocking both a parked car and the mall entrance, flashers on full speed. She is about 35-40, petite, dressed completely in a black yoga outfit, her hair pullled back into a quite severe ponytail. As we entered the building, she RAN to make sure she was ahead of me in line. And as if this weren't enough, she proceeded to berate the barista because they had to go into hte back to get more vanilla soy milk.

Miss Starr needs a swift karmic kick in the ass.

So does a man we'll call Mr. Smith. Mr. Smith doesn't quite seem to realize that everyone must play by the rules of office politics. You see, our office is staffed day and night. Sometimes, if you want a day off and can't get it the conventional way, you're allowed to switch your shift or your day as long as you're both willing. As anyone who has ever worked in retail or food service or customer service knows...those kind of situations can sometimes come down to "I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine" and the scratches aren't always tit for tat. Mr Smith doesn't get it...he wanted a night off and asked to switch shifts with my co-worker....just HOURS after turning down a request of hers. Karmic kick in the ass.

Or what about the family I met in the airport. Come to think of it, "met" isn't quite the appropriate verb...how about - who inflicted their voices upon me in the Philadelphia airport! Three of us, stranded overnight because of weather, trying to catch some sleep. We were the only people in the entire three gate area, yet this family...first ones in for the morning....felt the need to ignore every empty bench in the place and sit down next to us. Their kids were cranky and crying, and they were screaming above the children's noise to talk about how they wanted to get on the plane and go back to sleep. And you can't tell me they "didn't see" three women stretched out on airport benches next to them. Kick, please.

I could go on for hours, and probably will come back with more that I've forgotten....but what about you? Who have you encountered who needs that karmic kick in the ass?

(Yes, I got back in, finally!)

9 comments:

mr. schprock said...

You're very understanding. If it were me, I'd think more in terms of a Karmic Kalashnikov in the Right Ventricle (I suppose people like me are the reason for gun control laws).

Good luck on that short story contest, Claire!

Flash said...

All right, let me get my list......ahh, there we go. Attention everyone who has said that I have no talent and will never make it anywhere in life. Please bend over, grab your ankles, and allow me to shove the Karmic Foot right up your asses!

Oh, I feel for you on the airport thing. I've had that happen to me on busses before. The whole thing empty, yet 45 year old mom with a 3 pack a day habit and no bathing abilities plunks her beach ball of of a kid next to me so that I too can enjoy the wonderful treat he has stashed away in his huggies. I'm a firm believer that when this happens, those people are just so miserable that they feel the need make you miserable, thus, making themselves feel better.

Yoda said...

There was this time I was making a connecting flight at Charles De Gaulle (Paris) Airport. My incoming flight arrived hours late and the one I was on was about to leave within 30 minutes. After negotiating with the French and finding out how exactly to get to the terminal, I had to re-check in to the airport. [The stupidest airport design I have ever seen]. Anyways. My plane is gonna leave in 5 mins. and I am patiently waiting in queue to get frisked. Up comes this South American family and the mom tells me that their flight leaves in the next minute. Ok. Fair enough ... I let them get in front of me in the line.

Fifteen minutes later when I board the flight (which they decided to delay for half an hour), guess who I am sitting next to? The South American family. Just HOW could they have lied to me when I told them my flight number and destination??

Is there a karmic bazooka?

Scott said...

They guy I work with could use a real kick in the ass. Fuck Karmic. He's all about jockying for power by insulting my work and insinuating that he could do it better in front of management.

Scott said...

Did you enter the contest? I'll search again for your first name, but I didn't see it. I love your writing and think you have much talent!

ProducerClaire said...

No, I didn't, Scott. I just wasn't happy with what I had written, so I figure I'll wait for the next one.

Flash said...

Claire,

Just stop by my blog and Click on my complete Profile. the Link to my e-mail address is there.

Chloe said...

There was a woman who was demeaning to one of our classmates a few weeks ago and I let her have it. I was nice at first, but when she failed to apologize, I politely [sarcastically] told her to go fly a kite. No one's walking all over people on a whim on my watch!

Tony Gasbarro said...

Nothing earth-shattereing, here, but... I am a fan of "The Sopranos." We haven't ordered premium channels on our satellite service, so the only way I can watch the show is to use the DVD season sets to try to catch up. I've remained thankfully in the dark about the more recent shows, so every plot turn is new to me as I go through all the older ones. I'm just about through season three, borrowed from my boss. This past Friday I was on the flight from San Jose, Costa Rica, to Miami, Florida. I was watching an episode on my laptop, when the flight attendant for my section walked by, noticed what I was watching, and then returned to my seat, interrupted me (I had to remove my earphones), only to say, "Is this the one where (character X) kills (character Y)*?"

The guy seated next to me, who is a co-worker, heard what she said and he put his hands up and said, "Whoa! He's catching up!" She just smiled, and walked away. No apology for spoiling the whole season for me or anything!

AAAUUUUGGHHH!!

*didn't want to spoil it for anyone who might be in my shoes!!