Saturday, April 15, 2006

Troublesome Dreams

It's 4:30 in the morning and I can't get back to sleep. I've had two bizarre dreams - one strange and one troublesome - that pushed me to get out of bed and check my email. While I'm here, I figured I'd tell you about them.

In the first, I was on a boat - something with living quarters but smaller than a cruise ship - and we were adrift at sea. There were about 5 other people on board, and everyone was plotting some way to get off. The atmosphere was similar to that of Survivor...everyone trying to form alliances but no one getting anywhere with them. At every turn, something would happen that kept us stuck where we were.

Finally, the boat ran aground at a small resort. This was our chance! However, I was somehow indentured to this burly blonde man, and what he said was law. He sent me to this party to try and find a way to stay on at this resort, and when I arrived, I knew all the people inside. I told them my story of servitude, and they clucked and pshawed and said they'd love to help but really didn't have the time. At that point, a young girl from the boat walked up to me with my backpack on. I asked her to take it off, and she said, "No, I'm stealing it from you to trade for money on the black market."

"Okay, can I get my book out of it?" I asked.

"No," she said, "it's what you've put into it that makes it valuable. And now I'm taking it."

From that point, I remember her walking away, and hiding under a table from my acquaintances at the party. One of them saw me, however, and crawled under the table, put a pair of handcuffs on me, and returned me to my owner. He dragged me back to the boat, never letting me quite get my feet under me, and when we arrived, he threw me in a small, windowless cabin with a single bed and locked the door. That's when I woke up.

After a few fits and starts, I finally managed to get to sleep again...this time having a slightly more bizarre dream. I was with a woman I work with a a girl from high school I've not seen in years, and we were all in the waiting room at the gynecologist's office (No, this won't get too graphic for the men reading this). They called us back to the examination rooms, and there were no rooms...not even curtains...just beds in plain sight, and all the women working there were my friends. Friends who now knew every intimate detail... so I left. But when I walked out, I noticed the waiting room had a second level. I looked up, and a band started playing. People started pouring in...the place was turning into a night club. Very bizarre!

No telling what I'll "Dream up" next!

8 comments:

Yoda said...

No kidding ... those are some crazy dreams! Maybe you've been watching a bit too much of reality TV?

My roomie woke up a couple of hours back ... he had an awful nightmare in which he was fighting some kind of ghost who was in a little kid. Poor guy didn't go back to sleep until after a good 30 mins of watching TV ;-)

Flash said...

I've had dreams that I'll remember for a lifetime. There's only like 4, but they've made me wake up in cold sweats and panting...

What I find strange is that the part of your brain that dreams is close to the part of your brain that controls your nervous system.

Doesn't one part realize the other is making stuff up?

ProducerClaire said...

Scary thing is - I don't watch reality TV. Life is too much reality for me. What little TV I watch I prefer as escapist.

I've had a few dreams that I'll never forget, but for the most part, I tend to let them go after a few days.

Tony Gasbarro said...

I'm impressed at how much detail you remember not of one dream, but two, and how you kept the details straight. Or are you in the practice of writing them down when they happen?

I did that one time about 6 years ago. I had a dream so bizarre (for me) that I lay there for a half hour afterward thinking about it until I finally got up and sat at the computer to write it down. It involved me driving in a convertible along a highway passing a series of "talking" advertising billboards, to a drug rehab center because I was addicted to Percodan, I think it was? I got there early in the morning and had to wait because the doors were locked. I sat on the floor talking to a pretty nurse, wondering if she would go out with me. There was more to it that I can no longer remember, but at least I have it written down...somewhere.

Kay Vee said...

i have had some scary dreams in that tiny head of mine! even tho some were not really scary, they involved me doing some really strange stuff...kind of embarrassing coz i was a kid wen i had those dreams...but it left me scared coz i never imagined those things consciously and to see it and remember it vividly in a dream!!
and one very scary dream i had was...well...gross but i saw chimps and monkeys squated silently devouring their own species, being friends with a huge lion and the lion coming to eat me up!! whew!! i cannot bear the sight of blood and to see the gross and gory hue in my dream with a mass of animal guts lying around left me so scared that i could not sleep for a good 45 minutes and i hid under my bedsheet, cowering all the time, too scared to lift it up! i almost imagined the lion to be there!
it sounds very kiddish, but blood is no joke for me!

Scott said...

I'm having a hard time with the first dream. I've always been blown away by precise dream interpretation, but there is something going on there.

What is the ocean? Is it life, and the people on the ship your family and friends, unhappy, stuck in the same town or in low paying, frustrating jobs? Everybody wants out.

Now the resort comes along. Is the burly blonde man your husband, relying on you to make all the decisions in life, unwilling to make a move to save himself, his only power in life is his domination of you?

And what is the resort, that has so many people there that you already know? Perhaps they represent people you know who look down at you, judging you, keeping you on the outside.

The backpack intrigues me. It symbolizes something significant, perhaps your very soul. She wants what you have, wants to be who you are. Have you stuffed yourself into a bag as if you didn't matter, not seeing the value. Perhaps she represents others that do, and aren't necessarily friends, but people who resent you and try to keep you down.

Or I could be totally full of shit.

mr. schprock said...

This really makes you believe dreams do mean things and should be interpreted. the line that really sticks with me is:

"No," she said, "it's what you've put into it that makes it valuable."

I won't bother tell you my dream about being chased through Yankee Stadium by Ed Sullivan, The Beatles, and the Easter Bunny. Too weird.

Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

Gynacologists/Nightclub in the same venue?

Brilliant.

You could call it 'Enema's'

I see a great chain of mightily profitable venues opening around America...