Thursday, June 14, 2007

A Clean Sweep

Sometimes I hate to admit Mom was right. It's just part of being human..but this is one of those times I have to tip my hat. Or in this case, my glass.

It amazes me, the calming effect a clean house can have...

The last few months have been ones of absolute upheaval in my life. Topsy-turvy craziness ruled my mind, and my actions, and by extension, my house. Bills got paid, then piled...rather than filed. Clothes cluttered nooks and crannies. Crafts took over the living room, because the kitchen table had been consumed by that notorious paper tiger.

Finally, I'd had enough. That's it! I started with the front door – installed a new one. Most people spent Memorial Day weekend by the lake or the pool. I spent it taming that tiger. The next weekend, I tackled the kitchen. Cleared the counters, the cabinets, the top of the fridge, you name it. Top to bottom clean. Bathrooms too – all three of ‘em.

Next – the living room. Furniture moved, crafts put away...I’ve bought organizational aids and a DVD tower to make it all have a place. And voila...a home uncluttered is a home rediscovered. I was quite embarrassed by the appearance of my home and my state of mind. No one had come over in months. In the last few weeks, I’ve had a dinner party, people over for drinks, and for conversation. It’s just nice! And calming – I don’t feel anxiety crawl up my spine every time I walk in the house anymore. A liberating feeling!

One floor down, one to go. The upstairs still needs lots of work. I’m going through my closet right now, making donations to Goodwill and Salvation Army. Then I’ll tackle the rest of the room. And the computer room, well, I need a shredder and a WEEK to get that taken care of. But I’ll start where I can and go from there. After all, That’s a door I can close.

So here’s to Mom. You were right – a clean house IS more important that I ever gave it credit for. But I draw the line at your old tricks of covering the bed in a project that needs completion. After all, I need SOMETHING to call my own way of doing things!

6 comments:

kenju said...

If I covered a bed with a project, I'd be sleeping on the couch!I do know the joys of a clean house, however, and the problem is - you just have to do all that every month or so!

Bibi said...

I love a clean sweep ... I always have to clear out my studio before beginning a new project. Clears the clutter and clears the mind. ;-)

Linked to you from benjibopper.

Flash said...

I feel so relieved after I give my place a great once over. Throw away stuff that makes me say "why the hell was I saving this?"

Plus, health benefits. They say that when your house feels and appears clean, your body is relieved at the image, and stress levels go down. Plus, it keeps dust and mold from building up

Chris Benjamin said...

yup, my bi-decentennial cleaning is a ritual i can't do without. at the moment the paper tiger is staring at me hungrily, it's a bit daunting. my mom is pretty much always right.

Tony Gasbarro said...

I'll send you my address in e-mail.... ;-)

ProducerClaire said...

kenju,
My problem exactly! That's why Mom and I still don't see eye to eye on cleaning!

bibi,
Thanks for dropping in! And a "new project" is a good way to look at this!

Flash,
I'm the sort that things can be cluttered, but it has to be CLEAN clutter. That said, life went beond clutter to chaos, and I was feeling SO stressed just to walk in my house. I can tell a difference already!

Benjibopper,
Toss the paper tiger a few silverfish and he'll get the picture!

Farrago,
I'll get right on that!