Monday, June 25, 2007

Things I Noticed This Weekend

I don't think that I ever have to worry about becoming an alcoholic. I'm a social drinker, and I will have a drink when I'm home if I feel like I'm in the mood for that flavor. But this weekend, I noticed that the worse things get, the less likely I am to want to touch alcohol. I have yet to go on what a friend of mine calls "The Breakup Bender" and the same bottle of wine has been in my refrigerator for weeks now.

*******************************

That said, Mango Vodka is too sweet, unless it's had from the freezer with Tom Collins mix.

*******************************

I went to my first Jewish wedding this weekend. Although I didn't understand everything (obviously), one thing I really did like was that the couple spent 95% of the ceremony facing those who had come to see them get married. I think I know where it comes from - the bigger emphasis on community versus the closed doors of the family unit - but there's something I like about embracing the community versus standing with your back to the people you've invited to share this special moment.

To me, if they're important enough to share the moment, they shouldn't be looking at her veil and his hair. It's only through the support of others when times get rough that you get through the rough times. So that was an aspect that just struck me.

*******************************

I can't tell if my dancing is getting better or worse. Or maybe it's just that I danced with different people and therefore taxed different elements of my abilities. Who knows.

*******************************

If you ever dance with me, don't try to lead with my hair!

*******************************

If we call raw fish, sushi...what do sharks call raw humans?

*******************************

Caveat - since we call sushi after the rice and not the fish, what would we have to be wrapped in for sharks to have a name for raw humans?

*******************************

I could BATHE in sunscreen and it wouldn't be enough. There will always be one spot that gets scorched - at least on a person with my complexion.

*******************************

Karaoke is even better in large groups. Sometimes it doesn't even need music...just a handful of people who can't get a song out of their head.

8 comments:

kenju said...

At the beach last week, I didn't even try to use sunscreen. I don't want the polka-dot look, which is what I end up with when I try to apply it. I just covered up some and stayed under the tent - where I got a windburn. LOL

Tony Gasbarro said...

Yes, sushi is the style of rice in the dish. The fish is not always raw, but when it is, it's sashimi.When sushi is served with the fish on top of the rolled rice, it's nigiri sushi. When the fish is cooked it's called...um... cooked.

Therefore raw human is sashimi human...if the shark is a) Japanese or 2) dining at a shark sushi bar.

Bibi said...

That gave me a chuckle to start my day. Agree with you on the Jewish habit of facing their guests ... so much nicer than staring at the bride and groom's backs!

Chris Benjamin said...

some fine observations, especially about the kereoke, which reminds me of danny michel who sang 'i'll sing for you kereoke, so go on girl, pick your favourite song, the japanese jimmy deans and rockabilly boyfriends sing along.'

Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

Amen to that on the backs to the crowd business.

I totally agree.

Your dancing does improve as you drink: Fact.

Flash said...

I've filmed a couple Jewish weddings now, and by far, they are the best to film, only because they do face the audience. It makes for a greater video when you don't look at the back of the heads the whole time.

Torquer said...

Beach? Sunscreen? Here in England we don't need those luxuries. There is no sun.

I prefer a fine white wine to cheap cocktails a a party. That's if I ever get invited to one of course...

I have recently got a new blog at http://mutualinduction.blogspot.com

Jingo said...

I've got bottles of wine that have sat in the cupboard for years... and they're the cheap supermarket kind not vintage.

Personally, I prefer alchopops.