Thursday, August 30, 2007

80s Video Game Deathmatch

Now that I have your attention...

We all have our own analogies for life. Life is like a garden... an airplane....a busy highway...a shopping mall. Driving home tonight, I came up with a new one. Life is like....a 1980s video arcade.

Think about it...

Sometimes, life is Ms Pac Man - day after day, eating the dots, doing what's expected and avoiding the trouble that's on your tail. However, every once in a while (4 times per board), you get the chance to turn on those who chase you, have your shining moment in the sun, and get your revenge before you move back on, eating the dot dot dot dot dot dot dot.


Sometimes, life is Donkey Kong - You climb the ladder, only to find out it doesn't take you where you want to be. So you shift lanes/patterns/paths/ideas and climb another, to find something coming right at you when you get there. And every once in a while, just when you think you've got the bait and switch routine down pat, the Universe throws a temper tantrum and stomps on your plans, shifting them all in a domino fashion and you begin again from round one.

Sometimes, life is Galaga - you have all the fire power you want, but you can only move in one plane, while the forces acting against you can move in two. It takes some artful moves to survive those days.

Sometimes, life is Jungle Hunt - You're swinging, back and forth, over the pitfalls. One false move and *chomp* you're dinner! Then you get on solid ground, only to have boulders come hurling themselves at you to trip you up. The decision being....jump? Or Crouch?

Sometimes life is Frogger - well . . . there's no comparison needed there. Life really *is* Frogger!

Sometimes life is Double Dragon - you and a trusted companion versus the world. Times you can defeat all comers, and at times, the world gets you.

Right now, my work life is Ms Pac Man and my personal life is Jungle Hunt. What did I leave out? And what is yours?

6 comments:

kenju said...

I don't know the games that well, so I can't compare, but I do know that life just threw a temper tantrum for me!

kenju said...

I'm back again to thank you for the visit and nice comments. I'd love to do your flowers, but you'd better hurry.....LOL....I think I am retiring at the end of this year.

Tony Gasbarro said...

I don't want to make this analogy. I SUCK at video games! LOL!

Chris Benjamin said...

i loved this. interestingly enough i just wrote a story in which the protagonist is a video game writer and he tells some of his life story using memories of video games. i wish i'd read this first, i could have cribbed some of your materials. i like the pac man one best.

do you know pac man is online now, for free??

Torquer said...

I still have a Sega Master System 2 somewhere under my bed. I think that counts as a 1980s video game, although it might technically be early nineties.

Still, many good times spent on 'Alex the Kid' and 'Super Monaco GP'.

hendie said...

Mine would be TETRIS. Just trying to find the right peice for the right spot. And always coming in too fast and one piece too late.

Guess I should have stuck with PONG.