Tuesday, August 14, 2007

What's your sign?

I'm a Libra, but my honest answer would have to be, "Yield." I've always given in to other people's desires, and two have held a particular amount of sway. If you read the previous post, you know that they're both gone.

My best friend has moved to a town 800 miles from door to door, a town whose name has as many vowels as it does consonants. She's the one that believes in signs, but I tell ya, after the last three days, it may be rubbing off on me a bit too.

Sunday, I had no more gotten in my car at the airport, than my cell phone rings. A friend of mine who NEVER calls me, wanting to watch a movie and drink some wine. I declined, having just gotten into town and all. Then I went to the grocery store, where I ran into three people I knew (and no, they weren't all together). I NEVER run into anyone I know at the store. Period!

Monday afternoon, an old friend came back into my life unexpectedly. Mark, the man about whom I blogged this randomness a few years back, works for a company that supports a program I use at work. So he ended up transferred to my extension. The conversation was brief and professional, but there's still that extra flash of thinking I'd never hear from him again. Then I came home, and a cat tried to adopt me, a black one at that. I have a certain affinity for black animals, mostly because I know the superstition still runs deep in these parts.

Today, the little things continued to add up. An evening at trivia with a new friend....coffee with two more where I unexpectedly ran into yet another.... This means one of two things..

1) The universe is pinging me over the head to say "You'll be okay...trust me" (And if that's the case, then maybe we really ARE someone's version of SIMS, as suggested in The Times this morning....)

or

2) I should have called this post "I NEVER..."

Since I'd have to both change the title AND alter the first paragraph of this post if that were the case, I think I'm forced to choose #1.

2 comments:

kenju said...

When the student is ready, the teacher appears! Or in this case, when the distraught woman with the missing friend appears, others come to take her place.

I can't remember who said that, but it makes sense to me.

Tony Gasbarro said...

See, Claire, it all evens out. Sometimes the evening occurs over years or even a lifetime, and other times it occurs in one fell swoop.

Embrace the opportunities for community that have presented themselves to you, and they will embrace you.

Boy, I'm full of it tonight, ain't I?

Advice, I mean.