Monday, June 12, 2006

Does She Speak Eloquently?

A quick update before I dash off to work. Remember the karaoke place I was going to last night? Somehow, I ended up entered in a contest there, and guess what...I came in second! I won't fool myself - the DJ is a grizzled old character who probably wasn't lying when he said I got second for the "most professional use of the word 'fuck'" but still - wow! There were some awesome folks up there too! I can't hear myself when I'm singing - the return isn't the greatest, and I'm okay with that - so I'll have to take people's word for it that I did okay.

I sang You Oughta Know at the request of the Birthday Boy. First place went to Mr. Karaoke. He was there. I didn't look at him...or anybody....when I was singing. Didn't want him to get offended. Of course, I think he already was. I don't know much of anything anymore though. But that's for later in the week, since I have to leave for work in less than 15 minutes.

6 comments:

Yoda said...

Whoa! 2nd place! That's great!!! You Oughta Know is probably the only Alanis Morisette song I like. I find the others too preachy. Don't you?

Oh yea, congrats on the new car :-)

Flash said...

Your riding high lately, aren't you. A new car, second place in singing, Stanley Cup finals...

So who was the lucky birthday boy? Friend or stranger? Because I think that would be one hell of a birthday present if it was for a stranger.

Tony Gasbarro said...

I was waiting for the quote by which Mr. DJ was moved by your most professional use of the word "fuck." Or is it the place in the song where Alanis wrote it?

I discovered that there are quite a few songs off "Jagged Little Pill" that I Iike, despite the fact, thanks to a few outspoken bloggers, that there's really nothing ironic in the lyrics of "Ironic." Do you do the nude video, too?

Sorry, i had a pina colada about an hour and a half ago....

Scott said...

Put your fingers together and cup them over your ear, then sing into your palm. It's not perfect, but you'll have some idea on how you sound. If you're really brave, record yourself and play it back. I've always hated how I sound on tape. Nothing like the Godly voice I hear in my head.

Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

A girl used to do that song when I worked karaoke back in the day.

She used to end up on the floor in the foetal position, howling into the microphone like a deranged baby.

She was good, but i think she also had issues.

ProducerClaire said...

Yoda, Thanks! I have a few others I like, but part of karaoke is doing a crowd pleaser.

Flash, Now if only we could get that fourth win under our belt I'd be riding even higher! And the guy was definitely a friend. I might do something for a stranger for a birthday present, but in the world of Meatl Loaf, "No I won't do that"

Farrago, only when the cameras aren't rolling. So is it really video then? ;)

Scott, I can hear myself like that - I'll actually use that technique in the car to do harmony or something. I just don't hear the full picture...and I'm ok with that. Denial is a nice place to live sometimes.

Wordnerd, Anytime! It could be worse though - a radio station here uses a VERY catchy and BAAAD 70s song in their promos so you're singing THAT all day.

Ultra, no flailing or fetal for me. Just straight concentration on the screen...but I may have to change that if I do some Tori ;)