Sunday, June 11, 2006

One Heck of a Hangover

I will probably wake up with a hell of a hangover in the morning. (Yes, only my subject lines are family friendly at this hour.) To keep myself awake long enough to drink some water, though, I figured I'd drop in and say hi.

Talk about a crazy day. I spent the afternoon tooling around in my new car. Yep - I bought a new car. Last week. Didn't mention it earlier because I wanted someone to see it instead of read about it here, but now that he knows, I can say it. So I spent the day in the new car, then went to a wedding I never thought would happen. We were literally making book on whether the groom would pull out before the ceremony.

You see, the pair had dated for 10 years before he proposed. 10 years of ups and downs and break-ups and back-togethers and do I want her? does she want me? questions. She managed to build this man up and tear him down many times a day. But in the end, he couldn't live without her. Or so he thought. So he proposed. But he still had doubts. Luckily, he went through with it and we all got him trashed at his reception. Then we left, cause there was hockey to watch. The score when we left: Edmonton 1 Carolina 0 Claire 3 glasses of merlot

So we set up the party. About a dozen of us watching every check, every pass, and cringing as it happened. I had time to chat with another friend and her husband who I've known for years but you rarely see in the same place because one is with the kids. We moved the party twice to mix up the karma. No luck. Final score: Edmonton 2 Carolina 1 Claire 3 glasses merlot and 3 Coors Light.

But this all adds up to good things. My friend went through with what he called one of the hardest decisions of his life. There will be more hockey (a foriegn concept to me this late in June) and I laid claim to one afternoon of my friend's time by telling her husband to plan on kid duty. Aside from the fact that I feel like I'm getting stupider as I get older, it'll be worth the headache in the A of M.

2 comments:

Kay Vee said...

that lil anecdote abt the couple who wedded was funny...
some things are just meant to happen. u pass the test of time...
take care
:)

Tony Gasbarro said...

When you wrote thsi, Claire, were you under the affluence of incohol? *hicp*