Friday, April 06, 2007

A Slice of the Morning

7:50am - out of the shower. Looks like I have time to check my email AND stop for coffee. Insomnia has its benefits!

8:06am - still at the keyboard. Hmmmm....minimal staffing at the office today. It's a holiday - what else did I expect? Quick read of the 4am ramblings I forgot to post on the blog.

8:17am - still cleaning up those 4 am ramblings. Crap - I still have to make lunch. Forget that!

8:27am - starting the car, looking down at the clock...I can still hit Rana Capelli if I hurry...

8:29am - don't need to hurry - it's Good Friday - no one is on the roads!

8:31am - and neither was the owner of the drive thru coffee shop. Pull up to the window, sign reads "Have a Good Friday. We will. Closed till Easter Monday"

8:37am - this is good...no one on the roads today, I'm making record time. Maybe I can make it to work really early!

8:39am - accident about a mile from work. Shit! I can't do it.

8:40am – the clock rolls over, and silence starts to build. I tried to run from it, but the absence of one sound creates a second presence in the car, drowning out even the radio that I’ve cranked to try to avoid the inevitable.

8:43 am – pull into the parking lot. Rock star spot! That’s the trade off for working a holiday. The wave of loneliness crashes over me and starts to recede as I see one more person pulling into the lot. If I hurry, I can get myself together and walk in with her so I don’t have to be alone.

Sometimes, I tire of running.

1 comment:

kenju said...

I heard several people say that their favorite places were closed today. Hope you got some coffee at work.