Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Earworm Alert

I'm on a bit of a piano jag lately. A few songs have caught my ear and I can't get rid of them:

1: The end of Nine Inch Nails "Closer." Can't get it out of my head - to the point that I think it's now stuck in my cubemate's head. He obviously doesn't know the reproduction habits of the earworm...rather than escape into thin air, they divide and conquer, lodging themselves in someone else's head as well. So in his misguided efforts to help clear my head, he started singing the chorus all day.

2: Come Be With Me - Bird York. The best I can describe this one is what Fiona Apple will sound like in about another decade or so when she has more maturity, more experience, and better producers. Still trying to figure out why this woman looks so familar though...

3: Eminem's new one, "Mockingbird." The lyrics are quite personal and don't translate well across crowds, which leaves me pondering why that was the radio release, but the mix in the background - a piano loop of the lullaby "Hush little baby don't you cry" is just so haunting (and haunted) when you put it under his voice.

Edited 2/10 to add artist to #2. Norah Jones' song is "Come Away With Me." This song is by Bird York.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Come Be With Me - is that Norah Jones?

Rev. Buckweet said...

Bird York - a young Rikki Lee Jones, perhaps?

ProducerClaire said...

Good call - I hadn't thought of that... But I'm not a huge Rikki fan, and the more I listen to "Velvet Hour" the more it gets stuck in my head. Especially "Wicked Little High."

Rev. Buckweet said...

LOL

I meant what she looks like...