Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Three Strikes and She's Out

My neighbor's cat thinks she lives here. Seriously! I've never fed her, just petted her and left water out sometimes in the summer, but she has adopted me. She came over three times today - and JUST left when she saw her mom come home from my front window.

It started this morning when I went to mailbox - She slipped in between my feet when I opened the front door. Once she gets inside, she's very canine - follows me from room to room, meows when she can't see me, and wants to be petted all the time. At first I tried to usher her outside, now I just let her roam and I close off all my ipstairs rooms unless I'm in them. Last thing I need to do is lose a cat. Come to think of it, though, she did make her way into my closet and I had to pick her up, sweater and all, and get out.

I finally got her outside, and she spent the next 20 minutes standing back legs, looking like she was trying to open the door and meowing. When that didn't convince me to let her in, she went to the front door, climbed onto my windowsill and did the same. I'm sure the other neighbors think I'm ignoring or abusing this poor little one.

But back to the tale....or is it the tail? She goes away, and I didn't think much of it until I went to run some errands. I opened the door, and VOILA, kitty jets in again. That time I scooped her up and carried her outside, even as she dug a claw or two into my denim jacket and the shoulder below.


I come home about an hour later...No kitty...but just to be sure, I let myself in the back door. I make a cup of coffee, and the mewling begins. So I decided to go outside and pet on her a bit. Cat must be a ventriloquist, or a super hero, cause she was meowing under my window, and before I could get the door halfway open, she was inside again. And where she stayed until a few minutes ago.

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

Hi, I came across your blog while blogging.

I had a calico do the same thing at my house. Living in the country I wasn't sure if she belonged to a neighbor, so I petted her each day & shooed her away. She returned day after day, acting hungary, so I fed her & shooed her away. She came back one cold night and I let her stay in with my dogs & other cat. That was 3 years ago--she's still here, lol! I haven't shooed her away since I spent $$ getting her shots & spay. She's been a good kitty :)

ProducerClaire said...

If she keeps coming around, I may let her stay. I lost my pet to kidney failure a little over a year ago, and just found out the dog I've raised since a pup has cancer. So I'm feeling a definate dearth of fur in my life!