Wednesday, December 28, 2005

I've seen the future, and it is hell

Part of my holiday tradition is spending time with the grandparents. This year, it struck me harder than ever before that genetics didn't deal me a very happy hand in this are.

Both of my grandmothers (and for the purpose of this discussion, I'll restrict myself to grandmothers) are unhappy older women. Both have diabetes, osteoperosis, vision loss, and problems getting around. One is in her early 80s, the other, late 70s. This is the hand life dealt me. Now it's up to me to trade it in, draw again, and change my luck.

This, if nothing else, serves as a good reminder to take care of myself today, because even if I'm fine now, what I do today impacts what i'll be like when I hit their ages. I don't want to be an unhappy woman. I want to be a vibrant lady in my later years. Aging is enough hell as it is. If I get crotchety and whiny on top of it, someone slap me, will ya?

5 comments:

Yoda said...

Well, both my grannies had the same problems. But I saw a difference in them. One was unhappy, the other was happy (even with her medical condition). She was happy that all of her kids liked her, spent time with her and more importantly she got a lot of love from her grandchildren. I guess that's what really mattered to her.

Did you know that 1 egg contains ~70% of your daily cholesterol intake? I find it hard to eat eggs after knowing that fact.

ProducerClaire said...

Yes, but that drops SIGNIFICANTLY if you don't eat the yolk. So I eat them over medium and just eat the whites.

Yoda said...

Blast! The yolk is my favorite part :-(

ProducerClaire said...

Ewwww! I only eat that if it's scrambled or hard boiled

Yoda said...

So you are telling me that you don't like the yellow, slimy, slightly salty fluid that comes out when you poke your sunny-side-up egg with a fork?