Monday, December 19, 2005

Tis the season?

Normally, I'm a Christmas kinda gal. I don't don the Santa hat or the Christmas socks or any of that paraphenalia. However, I admit I take a certain pride in finding just the right gift for people, no matter what the occasion, so when presented with such an overwhelming opportunity to do so, I seize it and run with it. The first year I had my house, I had a Christmas tree up before I had half the boxes unpacked, because, in my world, that's just what you do. Period.

This year, that hasn't been the case.

I've had a certain laissez-faire about the holiday. Sure, the week after Thanksgiving I scrambled up into the attic, but instead of coming down with all the decorations, I hand picked a stocking, some lights, and a pine scented candle, and hung them immediately. After that, I haven't done a thing. I just wrote the last of my Christmas cards an hour ago...how pathetic is that? And this year, I didn't even put a letter in them. Just a hastily scrawled "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Hanukkah" (or a flat out "Happy New Year" for the overseas cards that will likely not arrive until Eastern Orthodox Christmas!)

It's not a bah humbug, per se, but it's not the joy and flair with which I usually approach such a festive time. So for me, it's a tad different. Maybe it's because I've been sick. Maybe it's because I've had so much car trouble....or that I know this won't be a normal holiday, so I'm not looking forward to such a fractious affair at home. Or perhaps it's as simple as I've just been doing too much and enjoying too little. But whatever it is, 2005 is not yet one of those holidays for the memory books. And that's a scrapbook to open another time.

5 comments:

Yoda said...

Sure hope your car as well as your health is back to normal!

I've decided to take a breather during the break and not DO anything special. Well, I could've gone home, I could've gone to Jersey to visit my extended family (they have a really BIG christmas gathering), but I decided not to.

So far, I don't regret it at all. I am sleeping 10+ hours a day, eating good food (half of which self-cooked btw!), spending time with friends, blogging, playing racquetball and buying lots of goodies for myself :-)

Chilling out, is that what its called? Brr, its 8F outside now, feels like 2F.

Tony Gasbarro said...

As an atheist, absent decorations is nothing new. My wife and I put up a tree the first Christmas we were together. It was such a hollow activity. And hard work, too! I had never had a real tree, and she insisted on it. Getting that thing in the house was a wrestling match, and then getting it out -- sometime around March 3rd -- was nothing more than a huge mess!

The celebration of Christmas is a celebration of an event I don't believe happened. The "peace on earth, goodwill toward men" is a concept I can accept, but why is it only sung about at this time of year?

I'm not a humbug. I love the feeling this season gives me -- with the smells, the colors, the carols, the gift-giving -- the feeling I had as a child when it was all fresh and seemed real. I say "Merry Christmas" to everyone to whom I care to say it. But we don't adorn our home with the religious symbols or the Santa symbols (SAINT Nicholas). We give gifts as a tradition of the season, and use the tradition of the season as an excuse to give ourselves expensive toys (such as a brand new SUV in 2001!!).

Perhaps your holiday blahs are just a result of having grown up and being an adult for several years, now, and the childish joy you exerienced in decorating and gifting and carding has trickled away.

I hope it hits you again soon. But if not this year, then I hope 2006 will be happy and relaxed so that your next Christmas will be like ones past...except 2005.....

mr. schprock said...

I've got big problems with Christmas. It's all a lot of stress and spending money I can't afford for one lousy day. This Saturday I'll be madly scurrying around picking up those last minute gifts. My favorite holiday is Thanksgiving. A big meal, get together with the folks, watch some football, and we're done. No muss, no fuss. That's for me.

Yoda said...

"2005 is not yet one of those holidays"

Gotta love your optimism! Have a safe trip home.

ProducerClaire said...

I'm working these backwards today:

Yoda:
Thanks for catching that. After all, Can't let the bastards grind ya down!

Mr. S:
I'm a fan of birthdays. Each person gets their own, and therefore can celebrate it as (s)he chooses. Everyone is honor-bound to respect that celebration, as by doing so they ensure their right to have the same, and at least among my friends, the birthday celebration lasts a full week, so as to get all important aspects into the mix.

Farrago:
I could NEVER picture you as a humbug, that's for sure....Merry Christmas and thanks for introducing me to this motley crew of characters who now read this otherwise blase blog.