Thursday, January 05, 2006

Anybody have an Advil?

My life has a holiday hangover.

I thought I was pacing myself, sampling what I could from the buffet of holiday offerings. A party here, a plate of cookies in lieu of attending a party there....dinner and dancing, a quiet night wrapping presents.... but the week of Christmas and the week after, I overdid it.

For starters, I went home. An adventure in and of itself, I assure you. Should the writers at Merriam-Webster or Oxford ever need a definition for "dysfunctional family Christmas," my story would fit the bill. I'd even insist the tale be told over a latte instead of a beer so there's no doubt what they heard! But I won't bore you with the long drawn out version. However, it DOES reconfirm my assertion from last year - that everyone is someone's child, and at no time is that more apparent than at the holidays. (Cool - in looking up that link, I wrote it one year ago today. Neat!)

So upon my return, I dumped everything - laundry, gifts, food - and jumped headfirst back into life. I had no choice - I had people to take care of. This holiday season I've been to a memorial service, a wake and a funeral. Perhaps my earlier ramblings about not being completely in the season had a prescience to them. Perhaps it's better not to be IN the season so that tragedy doesn't yank you OUT of the season. That happened last year...not a pleasant experience.

Then, on top of that, I went from vacation land to working 6 out of 7 days because other people had vacation to burn. All the while, crap still piled in places I left it when I came home from Christmas...just picking through the piles and getting what I needed, avoiding putting the rest of it away at all.

Today, I finally tackled it. I did all the laundry and started packing for this weekend's trip. As a result, my bedroom looks as though my dresser exploded, there's that many clothes laying around. But they're all clean, the bills are paid, the recycling is outside ready to go to the dump tomorrow, and half my stuff is laid out for my trip.

It's progress, so why do I still feel so irritable when I look at it? My only explanation.....My life has a holiday hangover.

5 comments:

Chloe said...

Have a wonderful and restful trip!

Flash said...

It's the Holidays. Stress comes standard. Part of the job.

Every year I have this little notion that my holiday season will be equal to a Norman Rockwell painting. No problems, eating with family, smiles all around. I'll travel up to see them, be welcomed with hugs...all that crap.

Then reality sets in. I put on the preverbial Iron codpiece and get ready to be repeatedly smashed in the nuts by reality: Tons of last minute stuff, dealing with the family members, rush rush rush, non stop till finally I say screw it and just accept it for what it is.

So don't be irritated when you look at the mess while your packing, because you got more done then you didn't. the bills, the recycling, half your stuff is ready.

Go, and relax this weekend. You deserve it.

Yoda said...

"I'd even insist the tale be told over a latte instead of a beer so there's no doubt what they heard!"

LOL! Make that a capuccino for me (grande) :-)

Tony Gasbarro said...

I have caught a post-holiday cold. I think I got it from Schprock. I read his blog, and then next day...

mr. schprock said...

I really hope your trip helped take the edge off things. Hang in there!