Friday, January 20, 2006

How many licks...

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Pop?

(If you don't remember that commercial, imagine, if you will, me shaking my head...because you have missed out on a piece of TV history)

The answer depends on who you ask, how they went about looking for their answer, and even what flavor of pop.... In fact, Toostie Roll has an entire section of their website devoted to this question.

Why this random aside, however? Because it was the topic of conversation where I was last night, and I thought I'd simply share this piece of the past with you.

3 comments:

Yoda said...

Are you sure you're talking about Tootsie Rolls and not anything else?

;-)

In devious ways, works Yoda's mind!

Tony Gasbarro said...

Tootsie Roll company's factory is here in Chicago, on the southwest side, on Cicero Avenue. I have a friend (HAD a friend? Haven't talked to him in several years) who works/worked there, and he said, as most people who work in the food industry seem to say, if you saw how it was made, you'd never eat it again.

Oddly enough, since I haven't seen how it's made, I still eat it. You know, the FDA has guidelines for just HOW MANY insect pieces are allowed to be found in mass produced foods. Let's hear it for quotas!

ProducerClaire said...

Yoda,

If I *am* talking about something else, I probably shouldn't follow the owl's lead and bite after "three" :)

Farrago,
That's exactly why I don't eat Twinkies. My ex took me into the lab one day and showed me the chemical composition of a Twinkie...they're just one complex polymer. I wasn't a big sweets fan anyway, but that killed any lingering desire to pop the occasional cake!