Monday, January 10, 2005

Democracy Inaction

Can you believe this?

Okay- that's a rhetorical question - of course you can...this is, after all, as Jon Stewart so poignantly reminds us, a democracy. Regardless of how efficiently, or inefficiently, it operates.

For those who haven't clicked on the link, public libraries in parts of Mississippi have banned Jon Stewart's book "
America: A Citizen's Guide to Democracy Inaction."

This truly bothers me. I could find some kernel of understanding if a SCHOOL library chose to take it off the shelves, but only a KERNEL. These are public libraries. The same institutions charged with making information and ideas available to the populace at large. I'm sorry, but show me where in the librarian's code of ethics that says "except when there's an off-color joke or photograph." If that's the case, we'd better get rid of National Geographic. And the Starr Report. And forget half the biography section....And most of those Oprah selections that brought people back to the libraries to begin with! Because it's all about sanitizing the life experience these days.

Again, if this is life, I think I'll go live in my own little world. At least it makes sense.