Tuesday, January 11, 2005

The Power of Fashion

I’ve never been one to need the latest fashion, the haute couture, or the “In” thing. But I have to say, every time I wear the outfit I had on today, I feel the power of fashion.

First, the outfit: White blouse, slightly fitted but not totally. Black watch plaid skirt that stops just above the knee and is actually almost too big (Ok – were it not for my hips, it would fall off, but it’s an absolute favorite of mine, so even though you’ve helped me shrink, I still wear it). Suede boots to the knee with a high heel, and a matching hat.

I woke up this morning and after the oh-so-crappy day I had yesterday, felt like displaying a little attitude, so out came the “Sassy” outfit. Put it on, was comfy, so I went to work.

Before I even got in the door, I had compliments. Women saying they loved the boots, men saying they loved the whole ensemble. My former boss told me I looked, and I quote, “electric and fabulous” and asked where his wife could find the shoes. A person far above me on the totem pole stopped by my desk quite a few times to compliment me today, even asked if there were anything I needed done. My boss called me “sassy” (hence the name for the outfit). And the HeadHoncho, who I don’t even think knows my name, not only stopped by my desk to say hello, he CHATTED. This man does not know the meaning of the words small talk. Not a bad thing, just interesting to know I even popped up on his radar screen.

The feeling was insane! I took time to think about it, and let me say, there’s a lot of analysis that could be done there. Does one command respect not based on one’s abilities, but based on one’s outward appearance? Do men have more respect for a woman who finds a way t be both competent AND sensual (I won’t go so far as to say sexy – to me that’s a subjective term & I can’t speak for them)? Did I appear more assured today, or did the person IN the outfit have anything at all to do with the equation? Do women find that combination more imposing as well?


No matter what the reason, it’s energizing. I felt so much more confident today – I don’t know if that’s because I knew all eyes were on me and I had to live up to the expectations, or because I knew I had the attention and it freed me to be less mousy. Either way, I found myself striding instead of walking, talking instead of muttering, defending instead of demurring. And wishing you could see me, the whole package, on this day.

Don’t worry – I took a picture.

3 comments:

River said...

Took a picture ? By all means, please share :)

ProducerClaire said...

Nope - sorry. The stalker's still out there, so I won't be posting any pictures here, at least for the time being.

River said...

Perfectly understandable. I kind of foreseen that reply.Be careful out there.